Monday, July 14, 2008

To-Do List

1: Get debit card and checkbook done

2: Activate card done

3: Recieve, fill out, and fax application (call Randy to explain rollover) done

4: Have free lunch with Ryan and inform him that if the job is there I have to take it.

5: Hang out, watch cable, play poker, wait for phone calls

Tomorrow:

1: (Probably) drive to Little Rock to see Ryder about leasing a truck; finalize applications etc.

2: If possible--or when possible: Move my stuff out of Christine and into new truck.

3: (If accepted by new company) Drive back to Van Buren to have qualcom unit removed, turn in black book and plates.

4: Drive back to Little Rock to turn in Christine.

5: Take cab to Ryder, get truck, drive to southern Ohio to start orientation with new company.

6: Find new accountant.

7: Get new mailing address.

8: Change all accounts over to new address. Get new checkbooks.

Not included, to be handled in between all this crap:

1: See accountant back from vacation, see about taxes, get copies of all files and my articles of incorporation (before going to Ryder--I'll need them for the application, and might for the new company as well. Bat Owtahel Inc. will be the lessor and the entity which gets paid.)

9: Just DRIVE, baby.

Randy the recruiter sounded positive, even after I told him about the rollover. (Rollover is the hugest red flag there is. It usually means a load of freight lost, for which the carrier's insuror is responsible. It also usually means that the driver was irresponsible and reckless.

Randy seemed not put off, and I got the impression that I will get contracted by them. I know they won't find anything else of consequence in my record, and that anybody they contact about me will give rave reviews (blush-blush) including Central Hauling's safety man.

I have a Scheider application for back-up. I just don't believe in sending applications in and then telling some recruiter that you changed your mind. You waste their time for nothing.

I've just realized that I now have about five years' experience, which puts me in the top echelon experience-wise. It's got to be over seven hundred thousand miles, and every state. In fact, some of the companies I hit with USA, I also hit with Central Hauling. This will be the case with Jamestown (the company I've applied to).

So I've paid my dues.

Another option was Landstar, which is similar to Schneider percentage-wise, and in self-dispatching on the internet. But I found several hidden fees and charges in talking to their drivers, and at this point Schneider has them beat.

But this company, Jamestown: 74% is 9% more. It doesn't sound like a deal-breaker, but here's the thing: I still have to pay for fuel, and those costs will continue to rise. I'll NEED that extra 9%. And the percentage is deceptive:

The pay difference between Jamestown and Schneider averages out to about 18 cpm, and I drive over 3000 miles/week. Since my fuel consumption doesn't go up whether I'm hauling for .90, 1.30, or 1.48 cpmile, every penny of that is pure gravy, and it amounts to about 200 gallons of fuel per week.

It's hard to describe coherently--my fixed costs are what they are, and every penny over it is not offset. The 18 cpm all goes into my coffers.

I'd love to get to watch more Browns games with my peeps in Cleveland, and to look for property myself, but I'd be throwing away over 500 bucks per week!

I'm 52 (today) and don't even have more than 100k yet. Sure, my portfolio is smart and will ultimately go up a lot or a helluva lot (especially if we get in big trouble and I suffer as a trucker; so it's like insurance), but I aint secure yet, and need to make up for lost time.

Moe munnah moe munnah moe munnah. With this gig, I could be just just scooping up all those depressed stocks at their bottoms; averaging down my cost-basis, bargain-hunting--and doing it weekly. I could be working with my bro, Simon LaGree Coyote, in grabbing real property at the bottom, too.

I don't want to rent it or sell it, like Simon. I just want a home or homesite, along with someone to manage it til I'm ready to come off the road (somewhat) and do something with it.

And I have a lot of good ideas. Like I want at least one wind-generator and solar cells. If I'm on a grid, I can wholesale the surplus (after batteries are charged), and establish a nice monthly cash-flow. (As I've said, the new ones really crank out a ton of juice...this aint nickles and dimes, here).

Oh--time for lunch okbye

No comments: