Thursday, July 31, 2008

Retirement

I've finally found commercial generators, and got a bead on money. My brother in Ohio uses 486 kwh/month at 5.5 cents per. I can use this as my baseline.

A generator producing 1100 kwh/month needs an acre and costs 30 thousand. One of these would, in an all-electric home, eliminate all my own utilities and probably net me 150 bux/month to boot.

This sounds daunting, but I might be able to swing a government-backed loan, or even get a grant. However, I would consider even paying cash for them. One per year would eliminate my taxes as a trucker for years to come.

And we tend to think too simplisticly about money. Saving ALL utilites per-month, plus the power wholesaled off the single generator would leave around 500 bucks more per-month in my pocket.

A second generator would increase this to over 900/month. Four would cost me 120 thousand bucks--or about a year's pay...but would generate 4400 or so KWH per month for a total net of over 1600 bucks/month.

Whether financed (with no grants) or paid for in cashed, the tax credits would by far exceed my tax liability as a trucker, and the income (literally) generated, making the REAL net gains a good deal higher.

If I could get grants/financing, I'd need to pay one off or two off in full, and then could add more quickly; the income from the owned ones could offset the payments for the others.

Long story, and I haven't thought it through at all yet. There are many types of generators, and I will have multiple ones. Many are under 5k, and I could start out with these mounted on rooftops and paid for in cash. Other intermediate sizes are also more affordable, so I could then add one or more of these, again paid for in cash--so long as they wouldn't interfere with the longer-term plan of taller towers and bigger generators.

My entry-point would be the acquisition of the acreage, then the rehab or installation of some habitation, and clearing the acreage (selling the wood). Next, since I still need to drive, I'd need a caretaker. If financed, I could be deficit-spending for awhile.........

So I need to build up the bankroll. I need to be ready to acquire, upgrade, and immediately pay for and install 15k-worth of generators to give me free utilities and some little positive cash-flow....

Yeah, definitely a long-term thing that I'll have plenty of time to research more completely.

Short-term, my account reflects that both my checks are gone, so I'm driving to the dealer to make my final credit card payment and get the note for my new truck. They still have to dynometer and inspect it, but after that I'm trying to move my stuff into it--they've got liability concerns. If I can't, I'll have to take a cab there and drive it back here for the moving part.

I need to get this done, fast. I have to take Christine back to Van Buren and then back here to turn her in. I have to get my taxes resolved. I have to get insured by Jamestown and drive there...

It's about to hit the fan for me....and so it begins okbye

No comments: