Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Little Rock, New Truck

Well, the Ryder deal sort of fell through. The lease wasn't escape-proof, and it became clear that my best deal overall would be the purchase of a used truck. So yesterday I drove Christine to Little Rock, straight to SelecTruck.

Figured I only had time to give them my credit info to get the ball rolling, and was prepared to hit five dealerships (and junk yards), shopping and applying, today.

But at SelecTrucks I parked directly facing a 2004 Columbia--which I of course ignored.

Then the guy says he has a 2004 Columbia automatic with less than 5000 miles on a Mercedes engine rated for 9000 miles--in a 430 configuration--for under 40k. Destiny!

I stopped looking, right there. There is my price, my mpg's, my automatic.

I'll ask for new batteries and maybe a left steer (but it's a gouge; not uneven wear, so the alignment seems ok). They offer a 2-year extended warrantee for under 4k. Sounds like a rip-off to 4-wheelers, but when one of my alternators costs over 300 bucks, and exhaust pipe section 200, one tire from 120-300? Yeah...I'll have to see what all is covered.

SelecTrucks has a good rep. Forget all the marketing stuff. Drivers know.

I looked it over. They'd painted the visible frame, and I easily found the corrosion underneath, but it was nothing serious in a 2004, and the paint will stall it for awhile. The batteries appeared a little old. The interior was clean.

I have to wait til this afternoon for the guy to get my credit report back and call me. I have some unjustified crap in my history, but I should be able to just make a down payment and be ok. I can pay it off early, except that if it's within two years there's a 2% charge on the balance. I can make extra payments to attack the equity, too.

Assuming we make a deal, they have to put it on an aerodyne unit for testing. This simulates loads and grades, and if there are any existing problems in the ecm or drive-train, they should show up. This I like. It's value-added yes, but they no doubt also do it for their own protection.

Before or after this, I have to move all my worldly goods from Christine into it. This will include getting my CB, inverter, and computer stand installed. It could take 6-8 hours. (Once I'm set up again, I really have to find someplace to stash my extra shoes, winter clothes, redundant spare wiring and parts, paperwork, etc.)

I'll try asking my brothers. Simon LaGree wouldn't let me before, but things might have changed. Never asked Eman. Worst case I'll rent a locker. If I'm making more money it won't sting so much.

I found two possible hydrogen generator kits--assembled and ready to install--for under 2200. One will work on diesel; but, based on it's size, is for 4-wheelers. The commercial one uses six individual generators, and comes in a case designed to be installed on the back or side of the truck. Either can be installed within two hours.

But I got red flags. The first one requires no catalyst, and includes circuits to adapt the oxygen sensor and ECU (ECM for cars). This might well mean that the second, commercial unit, would mess me up...

Although I can't imagine they'd be selling these units en-masse without having addressed that. All the same, I shot of an email interrogating them about it.

Why Iam I so determined to get one of these on my truck? Because it would save me over 400 bucks a WEEK (plus help climb mountains.)

Well, now I've got to call the recruiter and hope for an offer. No...I'll wait til after lunch. People are in a better mood after lunch. They're on the downhill side of the road to home.

No comments: