Friday, July 25, 2008

Hurting

I had to dump almost everything in my portfolio. I've got maybe 12k left invested and the rest cash. Bummer.

At least I got a 2500.00 cash deposit in to get the inspection and stuff going. Tomorrow I can make another one of those and write the chack for all but 2500.00 of the rest. I had to do this, so that it would clear in a reasonable time.

Meanwhile I have to just...wait and wait some more, like I've been doing. Drives me nuts. So I'm driving all my peeps nuts via email.

Once the truck's been put on the dynometer for testing and gone over, (this is the main reason I paid another 3100 bucks for the warrantee--they have to make sure nothing is wrong with it.), I can try to get a mini-refrigerator stuck in it and, I think, start moving my stuff into it. I just need to make sure it's locked up, which I couldn't ask for without having laid my money down.

I hope to get that all done by wednesday, which is my last prepaid hotel room day, and take it back to Van Buren. That's sticky--once USA takes it's plates back, I need to get temp tags or something, and get it back to AEL ASAP.

So I'll hit my accountant first, then my mail, and USA last. When I leave Van Buren, it will be for good.

From AEL, I can prabably wrangle a shuttle ride back here, and be one cab ride from my newused truck...whenever the checks clear. I estimate that by this time, I'll have less than 2ok to my name. AEL could really stick it to me on the settlement, and any damage I did--well I can't argue. My accountant is doing two years worth of reciepts, and I made her total up the reciepts. She's gonna want some real money.

The taxes themselves...I'm afraid to think about, but as I understand it I can extend if neccessary, or pay installments. Yeah--this and the economy have got me pretty close to the bone. I'll almost be starting over, from scratch...except with a paid-for truck. (Gotta remember that part so I don't get bummed out. Paid for and warranteed.)

The bleeding will continue for several more weeks. Most carriers defer weekly settlements for one or even two weeks. However, they provide fuel cards: The company pays for fuel, and often gets discounts. They deduct this from that week's pay. And you can get cash advances on the card.

The truck, however, is clean. Their detailers did a great job on it. I know enough now to spot rust under paint, check hoses, belts, and lines, etc. It wasn't bad at all. The interior and sleeper are nearly identical to my own. Centuries and Columbias are very similar. Getting that refrigerator in there is important.

I can get a Wal-Mart mini-fridge for less than 100 bucks, but it's too wide for the cabinet. The fridge's they sell for trucks are about 500 bucks, and I refuse to get hosed like that. If I have to, I'll have one wall of the cabinet cut out.

With the fridge and a cheap microwave, I can save a lot of money on food. I have an electric cooler, but it's inefficient and runs 24/7. You'd think that a refrigerator would use more electricity, but I don't think so, since the fridge shuts down when it's cool enough. The cooler is also inefficient...I can't keep a pasta dinner in there for more than about 3 days.

Hell, I might even put the fridge in myself...oh! Oh! Maybe it'll fit in front of the passenger seat!! Then I could use the cabinet for storage, which would be even better!! Yeah I bet it'll fit and I can snug the seat up to it for stability! and put the microwave on top of it maybe! (The passenger seat itself is reserved for H.A.L. and his computer stand.)

Yes, yes...I'll take some measurements tomorrow when I make my payments. Maybe they'll let me put Hal's stand in too. There's an issue there, the way the seat's built--but I'm resourceful.

With this, my CB, and my inverter installed, the rest is moving loose stuff. I should do it in installements, and not all at once. I need to slow down and get methodical so that I get all the disorganized and messed up stuff organized. That's hard for me. If I do it all at once, I'll just start piling it up and tell myself I'll organize it later.

I should get masking tapes and label stuff. This truck has more room to stash tools and stuff--I can get more stuff outside the truck. The extra space where the fridge would have gone, and that, gives me a slight edge on the organization part. Getting rid of redundant fittings, wiring stuff, magazines, etc. will help....

There I go obsessing. Sometimes obsession is good, though. Maybe these delays are for the best, overall. They might cost me another 600 bucks, but then I can make sure everything is installed and moved right, and not kill myself doing it.

Yeah, I feel better now.

No comments: