Saturday, July 17, 2010

Yay (Apex NC)

They finally fixed it, but hang-ups with the invoice (it was like they just had to kick/stomp me a couple more times) had me scrambling for the load Courtney had arranged. (It was 1600 friday, and I gather they don't get a lot of weekend stuff--I would have been stuck).

So far, by the way, I've only run (in one case partly run) three loads for them, but I don't think I've deadheaded over 35 miles once. Plus, the next loads are lined up in advance. This is too small a sample to be definitive, but so far they're the most efficient people I've run for.

When the other day another driver took my load, he told me my trailer was crap. I was surprised, because I was used to hauling junk worse than that. I was also pleased--Courtney had already told me that he'd told her that, and is going to send me someplace to get a better one.

My trailer is functional but has a freakish amount of rust for an '07, and some old sidewall repairs that he said were substandard. The company wants to look good: cool. More practicly speaking, the corrosion came into play vs. me when I tried to move the sliders with a load on. First I had to beat the pins out with my sledge hammer, and then it took a running start to make them slide.

Common enough for any trucker--but one with a newer-looking undercarriage usually slides better.

Anyway, I made it to the shipper 30 minutes before they closed despite horrendous traffic and a bad route I plotted because I had no time to waste (ran over some curbs, bullied spastic 4-wheelers, etc.) (OK I just mean that I had to take wide turns and they had to stop short when they saw me; you have to move quickly sometimes to make sure they see you before they seal you off from the rest of your turn).

This one came from Lansdale, PA here to Apex NC. It delivers monday. I'd planned to hit a truckstop, but got bad info (plus failed to do my normal research-my bad) and my truckstops had no parking for me.

It's a real nice area with woods, though. I'm secure here near their back fence. I'd prefer to be inside and on a door already, but it's fenced off, so I'll have to wake up at 0645 monday. Probably later I'll search for Wal-Marts so I can restock my food (I'm out). This is a secure drive with the reciever's company trailers parked in it, so I can slap a padlock on it and drop it for an hour or so.

This load paid about a buck a mile. That's a backhaul rate, but Courtney needed to get me to a better area, plus to get me to the next load she wanted me on--which pays a great deal more.

Plus, her buck a mile isn't the same as my former company's buck a mile. When they said it's a buck a mile, they meant gross. I'd do the math in my head for 72% of that. When Courtney gave me the total pay (which I calculated at 1.00/mile), she meant "to the truck"--what I would get paid. So far, my two backhauls paid 20% more than the ones I got from my old company.

My former company finally responded to my email in which I warned them that I was about to go to the Attorney General and seek other legal remedies. "Warning" is the right word, since they're embroiled in a civil war there, and my side was chosen for me. Junior is owed 90k, for example--and he's the guy I'm bugging for money.

I was finally able to talk to him, and found this out. He's also apparantly re-checked my application, as he was careful of what he said, like I might be taping him or something. When I asked him: "Would my going after them from the outside help you or hurt you?", he said "I'd never tell you what to do, but basicly all that would happen would be all the creditors would come in and it's get broken up." "Bankruptcy?" "Yes, that's what the assholes would do".

Junior is trying to hold onto at least twenty company trucks as they dissolve the old company and form a new one in which he has bottom-line authority and control of the books. He needs those trucks so he can hold onto certain of his contracts. If I sic any dogs on them, it probably means they lose all the trucks and trailers, too.

AND we probably never get paid anyway.

All the same, I did get 250 from them, which I was able to put on my repair bill. I still asked Courtney for 1800, because I was close to empty, and the 35% I'd get put onto my fuel card (like a debit card, plus we use it at the pump) wouldn't be enough to keep me out of trouble. Plus I'd had a flat re-inflated, and if it didn't hold air I'd need to get it patched.

I'm still running underwater here, flat broke, in debt, etc., but feel great. I made it all the way here without any electrical issues, so at least Philly Freightliner did a proper job of it. The new harness is warranteed. My APU is running fine. Got a load right away and a high-paying one monday. Can go shopping tomorrow and be all set.

I haven't added everything up yet, but I know I owe Courtney 827 for the tow, 1800 for the repair, and at least 500 for the hotel. They were very interested in when I'd mailed in my first bills, and I get the distinct impression I've really dented their operating fund; they need that cash-flow.

I want to have them just intercept all of my settlement checks til I'm square, but I got my monthlies coming due--however half would be no problem. All I need is enough to retain internet/prepass for weigh stations, BestPass for tolls, Driver's Legal, Lifelock, etc., and otherwise don't spend much (except for hotels--which I won't for now, and hope I'll be too busy to consider.)

They haven't addressed that with me yet. I could also send them a check or e-check. That way I could calculate my balance and bills and send them everything I wouldn't need. They might not have an easy way to intercept monies to drivers for legal reasons or something.

I don't care! Repaying them is priority one and who cares how? And I CAN--I just love being in control again!

When I get my next load, I'll feel even better. So far, I haven't been able to "shop around" (http://www.findfuelstops.com/?gclid=COmQ45mB0ZkCFR9hnAodCVnytw) for my fuel. Last time I got 60 gallons and paid an extra 20cents per gallon because I couldn't make it here.

My next load will put enough on my fuel card (paid when you pick up the load--a kind of advance) to top of here where it's cheap. This will give me a 1200-1400 mile range, and I should be off and running; all set for controlling my fuel costs from then on.

Junior and Ed at my former company appear to be more sympathetic to me now, and Ed said to call back monday, as they expect to have some larger payments ready by then.

I've heard that before, and the reason I was angry enough to try to take them down was the fact that I've heard it about eight times, and each time...nevermind old news. But now I'm quite sure: The assholes promise Junior. He promises me. They stiff Junior. He stiffs me. I blame Junior, but it's not him.

Now I feel bad about ever yelling at anybody there. Except Dee, the bookkeeper. She and her boss are corporate raiding crooks.

I was tempted to ask for a small percentage of the new company in lieu of what I'm owed, but hate complications, and want to keep my head down.

Anyway, I'm just so lucky. Yeah the last couple weeks were hell, but they didn't cut me loose and now my harness is solid from top to bottom. Now I'm back and running--and I'm GLAD that awhile ago I got rejected by other companies, because these guys pay better, keep deadheads low, and so far keep me really busy. No Qualcom or other BS.

Yeah it'll take awhile to rebuild my maintenance fund and stuff, but every mile I run takes me closer. Life is good.

No comments: