Tuesday, July 6, 2010

THEM again.

The ECU is the electronic control unit (module), or Herbie's brain.

After finding my first load to Cambridge undeliverable, being directed to an intermediary warehouse to deliver my one pallet, and heading out for my pickup going to WV, the stalling came back with a vengeance, and finally shut me down for good.

I had had it pegged as a bad connection, but after resetting the computer and turning the key to "on", the check engine light remains on, and the screen says "ECU 12 8". It's telling me that after shut down and reset, and without the engine running, the ECU is malfunctioning.

Herbie is brain-dead.

THEY did this, of course. Waited until I finally got a new job with a great company, and was on my very first load to trigger this failure. Well, THEY were a little late, since I delivered that first load (preserving my perfect record...I mean perfect except for the time my clutch went out). (I have NEVER failed to deliver...except then. Even when I had other breakdowns, I managed to get it fixed or else limp down the home-stretch. Once I even had a towtruck go out if it's way to drop my trailer at the reciever the night before the appt. time.)

The tougher part is this: My former comany still owes me 2600 bucks and has still not paid me, and I won't have enough to cover the repairs!!!

I hate this. After being the thing that wouldn't go away and becoming a trucker, I've never needed help. I took care of my own problems, and made sure I had the money saved to cover it.

Now I might well have to ask for a big advance from Medallion. I THINK they'll do it, but this is a hell of a way to start a new gig: In the hole.

Well the towtruck driver just called--gotta get ready. At least the place I found is only 7 miles away.

No comments: