Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cookin (Worcester, MA)

Well, I just added up what I've made so far and feel much better now. I've had a couple 60+ mile deadheads, but the average is actually lower than I had at USA. With my former company...sometimes 300 or more miles (no I aint kidding).

Don't like it much up here. It's like somebody kicked over an anthill. And the ants all drive cars.

Oh, and you can ignore the speed limits here. You can go 20 miles over or 15 miles under if you want, in any lane you want. Just match speeds with a big truck, set the cruise, and wait for the turn signal as he closes in on the guy going 50 mph in front of him. Great fun! You get to watch him hit the brakes and holler at you!

Tolls everywhere. That's a drawback--I'm learning that the company moves a lot of freight up here in New England. Many drivers reguse to drive the northeast because of the tolls and stupid ants driving cars. And having to run over curbs on ancient streets built for wagons.

But this is just my first couple weeks. Courtney did mention a twice weekly from Ohio to here, for example. After I've run around randomly for awhile, I'll ask about that, or something like it. If a lot of their business is up here, then that's that, but...

Well, here: If I drove out here from Ohio and back twice a week, I could take I-76/I-80 (etc.) and avoid a lot of the tolls--and even most of the ant-hills full of careening spastic cars. But then James, the driver who referred me to Medallion and Courtney, said he's got a sort of circular regular route, and that sounded great.

I just had to tell her I need to get back to Ohio when it's convenient. I ordered some stuff and got a phone call informing me that I had enrolled in a money-saving program for only 24 bucks a month and if I didn't like it all I had to do was call the number in the mailing to cancel--otherwise they'd just take the money off my card.

Yeah. So I need to cancel that.

"But it doesn't cost you anything just to look---"
"I didn't want this! Cancel it right now!"
"--have to do is call the num--"
"No-take me off right now!"
"--?"
"Wait what did you ask me? NO! Nevermind! What's the freaking number I gotta call to cancel?"
"--certificate from Wal-Mart--"

And of course there's the stuff I DID order. And of course Damien has stopped charging my batteries again. Yeah it's about three months. That's about right for his alternators. It's under warrantee, but I have to get to Sapp Bros or Colyer's to get it fixed. That's Clearfield PA between here and there, or Cincinnati.

...where I got my POS trailer, which I'll probably need to take back before I can replace it. No rush on that, though. After I got some grease on the sliders that part got better, and I think the pins partly stuck because of all the rust. 2 pitted surfaces stick more. I left about half a pound of rust at my last pickup. Had to wear my wraparound shades or I might be in a hospital with rust in my eye. That's real bad.

Boring. I know.

Anyway, I'm still happy. Best deal I've ever had. My next one picks up tomorrow morning, goes to Buffalo, and pays really well. No cheap fuel between here and there, but I've still got some range...damn I'm boring my own self!

Speaking of which, when I need to sleep I turn my Sirius radio to the classical music station. Knocks me out. Plus I'm reading a pretty boring book. Almost like I wrote it!

I guess adversity does make you stronger. Damien's alternator going out hardly bothered me this time. Plus I've changed some stuff. Like I've plugged my microwave and toaster oven into him, bypassing both his alternator and my batteries. If I cook something while I'm rolling, I can reach behind me and turn him on and off.

Plus now I can toast a Tortino's pizza without overheating my inverter.

Since he's been reliable as for a/c for some time now, I don't even hate Damien much anymore. Maybe this alternator will be the one to outlive it's warrantee! Yeah...positive vibes...

-Yawn- yeah...sorry. Okbye.

No comments: