Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Progress

Monday I hit Van Buren, checked into the Meadors Inn, got the truck to USA, said good-bye to Ryan, my last dispatcher, and bought lunch for Matt, my first one.

Today the mechanic finally got done de-USA-ifying Christine. I left for the last time. Hit the mailbox for the last time. Hit the accountant's office....

She wasn't there. There is a problem here. She hasn't returned calls or answered e-mails. She's done a lot of work for me and no doubt has a big bill for me...doesn't have a dime of my money--just all my records.

To be continued. Undaunted, I continued back to Little Rock and AEL. Turned in Christine. No problems. Saw Joanna, my old dispatcher at Central Hauling, and said hi. When I left Central (due to an insurance review finding me with four "items" in my combined DAK/DMVR), she was on maternity leave.

A series of family tragedies kept her out well past the birth of her daughter, and she never did find out why I'd left! Her email got bollixed up so she never got my emails, either. Well--now she knows. (Shoulda told her it was because she was so mean to me haha).

I've been lucky with dispatchers.

...from the Cal-Ark yard, which includes AEL and Central Hauling, I got a technician to get on his computer and track down the trailer place I was referred to about the (relatively) inexpensive APU. That place referred me to the right guy, who was out of town but fortunately answered his cellphone. I'll see him tomorrow.

Then I called SelecTrucks. They found a damaged doorlock which needs to get fixed (I like that) and I asked them to see about installing a track for a pricacy curtain. (This curtain goes in front of the side windows and windshield. I can improvise, but dammit--I'll go to Freightliner myself if I have to. I didn't catch it before, and now they know I won't kill the deal over it--no leverage.

I mean, here I got the fridge and made extra space, and the only curtain I have cuts the damn truck in half!

But I digress. Just before 5 pm, I wrangled a shuttle ride from Cal-Ark to this hotel. This hotel is within 1/5 mile of SelecTrucks, both of the places I'll need to go to see about the APU, and--if neccessary--the Freightliner bodyshop I'll hit if I'm forced to get my own privacy curtain track. (They go used when they can and aren't your typical crooks).

Tomorrow I'll check out of here and get the hotel shuttle to take me to SelecTrucks. My truck should be back there in the afternoon. I don't know how I'll kill time there, but I need to have my luggage there to toss in the truck when I finally sign the papers and take it.

While there, I'll call the APU guy back and he'll tell me where to bring my new truck. That's where I'll go next. He said he can get me in "later in the week" (tomorrow is wednesday). He also said that they've only refused one owner-operator out of eighty credit, so I should get financing. (And establish credit).

I'll find out how long it will take there, and then (if neccessary) go see about my privacy curtain track. (Got to have one! You just park, pull the curtains closed, and you can run around nekkid if you want! But more practicly--a truck is a solar OVEN without them!)

It's kind of amazing that all this stuff will go on inside about a 1.5 mile radius, ya know? It was partly my planning, but substantially luck. Things are looking up!

If all this doesn't look like it will take more than a couple days, I'll return to this hotel. I can't stay in the truck because SelecTrucks leaves the tank near empty, and I'd have to idle it all night to avoid sweating to death. (See why the APU?) (As it is, I might have to spend over 400 more bucks for fuel to get to Jamestown).

When I'm ready to roll, Jamestown should extend insurance coverage to me (I have temp. tags).

While here, I was sort of offered a job. It was for over 25% more money than I can make at Jamestown! Without going into detail, there are drawbacks and trade-offs. I won't take it, but will retain the number as a back-up/fall-back.

I have a reputation, and people want me. When you can prove that you have never been late in over four years...there you go.

To-do later: Get new address, change all accounts accordingly, order ceramic treatment for engine and hydrogen generator...

I can't believe owner-operators are so RETARDED! IF YOU ARE AN OWNER-OPERATOR AND ARE NOT LOOKING INTO HYDROGEN GENERATORS YOU ARE AN IDIOT. CLICK THE LINK, DUMBASS!


Save $1,000s On Your Vehicle Fuel Costs! Onboard On Demand Vehicle Hydrogen Generator

No comments: