Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hotmail

I can't open my email or folders. The links are dead. I can sometimes compose--but then find the "send" link dead as well. Occasionally, I was even allowed to open one of my emails--but never two of them. Nope.

I right-click what's supposed to be the link, hit "properties", and see, next to protocol, "unknown"

I cleared my cache, deleted cookies, listed hotmail/live/msn/etc. in "trusted sites", purged my memory, ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, the whole System Mechanic shebang, tried with my other laptop, and from different locations.

I reported the bug several time--starting a week ago. No responses (not that I could open them).

Today, I got that "working on your request" message when I tried to open a letter. About two minutes later, it finally opened the wrong one. So I tried again. That was twelve minutes ago, and they are still "working on your request:"

I got a bunch of links and information in there that I can no longer access. I set up a Gmail account--successfully transferred an email there. (I just checked and re-clicked two minutes ago. Hotmail still working on my request).

I'm supposed to be able to transfer my contacts and letters, but I need a file name. I'm still trying to find out how to find out what the file names are. I'm pretty fed up with Hotmail. First, I wasn't allowed to even access my account. Then, a couple months ago, there was this problem. Now it's the same problem back, worse than ever.

So I'm just getting the hell out.

Meanwhile, my truck's new Qualcom unit had to be ordered. It might be there today, but I'm waiting here at Pilot until tomorrow to make sure. They'll put my plates, decals, Qualcom, etc. on all at once, I assume. So I'm just killing time....Hotmail is still working on my request. Good to know. Glad I got tabbed browsing--I can give them several hours to open my email.

This area is, I hope, bad for wireless internet. I get five bars, 7.2 whatchacallits, an "excellent" signal, but it takes forever to open some pages (others display instantly--including Hotmail. ) To make sure, I re-installed my modem software and checked for an updated driver. I tried optimizing through System Mechanic, then went back to default, and now optimized it again.

(I got System Mechanic AFTER the Hotmail issue re-occurred. I suspected a registry problem, and System Mechanic 8 has a legitimate cleaner/compressor. I can defrag and clean myself, too--but this thing combines a whole bunch of stuff--some of which you can't run with your system tools--and make it all easy and fast).

Ad-Aware SE-Plus is also excellent. I'd lost my codes and stuff and had to re-install it off the backup disc they sent. It found 68 critical problems. Now I've got it set up to find and kill virusses real-time. One of the System Mechanic things does the same thing, and I've got firewalls too.

I'm waiting for the Post Office to confirm my previous address via snail-mail. I was initially going to roll out and come back for it, but the Qualcom thing delayed things, so now I'll wait. Maybe I can watch the Browns play Detroit, and get the taste of the Hindenburg thing in New York out of their mouths.

I like this company so far. Randy is not like a "boss". He'd helping me out wherever he can, and has given me some valuable tips in a O/O-to-O/O tone. It's small, and I'll soon know everybody. (But am staying away for now so they don't get sick of me).

The Big Boss has an offer from another guy to install a free hydrogen generator (loss-leader) on a company truck. I'd sent Randy my link, though. This guy's units probably cost a fortune, and mine are cheap. So I don't know what they'll do--it's hard to turn down a free one...anyway I won't worry about it. I just know that I'm getting one, and they have the link.

Yeah I can't wait. From here (north of Cincinnati) they go to Texas and Utah a lot, and California too. The CA loads are time-sensitive as hell. I prefer some slop in my schedule so that I can either deliver early or else have the time to handle repairs, traffic jams, etc. and not lose sleep. When they schedule tight runs, everything has to go right. But I'm a pro--I'll adapt/overcome.

These are all long runs, and generally it's a yo-yo operation. I go out and they bring me back to Ohio.

Randy mentioned a gig in Utah-a 260-mile back-and-forth run. He said I could stay out there a month doing that if the loads were there, and there's a good rate on it (remember: 74%--my pay will vary per-load now). While I normally hate short runs, 260 miles sounds like I could comfortably do two (or more) of them a day without killing myself.

With Jamestown, I either bring my paperwork in, or else Fedex it. Also, they don't do direct deposit, but will snail-mail my checks using my deposit slips, so I don't care. It might mean another week before it shows up in my account, and a check here or there might get lost and need to get re-issued, but it's nothing.

As soon as I'm done with this, I got the name and number of a big Accounting firm in Colorado which specializes in Truckers. The ex-owner/op who referred me said you just mail everything to them--don't need to total stuff up or anything. They charged him 120/year. I might have to pay more because I'm the Corp. and the driver, and...

Well I have to get things straight with my current accountant and settle up with her. She hasn't replied to my emails, and I can't reach her--I still have critical questions. I'll have to contact these guys and interrogate them...using Gmail (Hotmail is still working on my request, except can't contact itself right now so I should try again later).

The other driver said these people won't allow you to cheat. That's cool with me--I want zero red flags--I've already commanded extra attention.

Seems like things keep coming up. I can knock out the PO Box here, then take care of the account changes and ordering my additive and generator on the road. I can make the initial contact with this new accounting firm now and make arrangements with my own accountant...well I just hope that eight weeks from now I'll be current on taxes, have my generator, and just drive.

I've been eating strictly groceries for awhile and drinking home-made tea. Haven't spent more than ten bucks on food since I went shopping. I like it this way. I'll still raid buffets to-go and get three meals out of them, only now I have a microwave right here.

Subway still isn't bad. I'll still stop there sometimes. I get a footlong and eat half later. But next time I shop, I'll get some lunch meat, bread, and lettuce and make my own sammiches.

I got the APU sort of figured out. The A/C outlets only work when it's running, so I plugged my air filter/ionizer into it and left it on high. I might also plug the fridge into it, but I worry about it getting screwed up. It sucks a lot of juice when it runs--I hear my inverter fan speed up a lot. At first, the truck's protective program shut all lights etc. down sometimes, but I set the APU to recharge at 12.5 volts, and that's apparantly over the truck's threshhold.

The APU can really help me. I can run with a bad alternator and stuff if I have to. My batteries will never get too low, and even of they did, the generator takes a lot less juice to start, and will recharge them for me.

I'm pretty much all set now. I'll probably go shopping again before I take off, and have a packed freezer/fridge. I know all sorts of tricks to save money that way. Tortino pizzas and TE dinners 1.00. Sometimes I find Encores for a littl over 2 bucks and can get 2 meals out of them. Individual lunch meat packets cost less than 50 cents. I put cheese and lettuce on sadwiches and make two out of one packet. I refrigerate the bread and it lasts forever. Oh and 33 cent Burritos!

I might spend 40 bucks on the groceries (I get some diet shake stuff and diet bars and milk too) and have enough grub for 3 weeks. My budget for road-food after that will be maybe 20 bucks a week, just for variety.

I should save 40/week on food and 60+/week on fuel out of the gate. That will be 100 more/week in my pocket. Randy's insurance company is also great, and I think I'm saving 20/week on that as well. With the hydrogen generator installed, that could easily be another 300/week (conservatively.)

Effectively, even if I'd remained with USA, I'd still be netting over 400/week more. But now here we go: No truck payment. Make that 700/week. And (I forgot) AEL took 12 cpm off me for my maintenance escrow. Asterisk on that: I WILL have to repair this thing: I just spent two hundred bucks to repalce one of my four batteries. All eight of my drive tires are retreads, and I will ultimately need to replace them. New tires could cost me two thousand bucks. A preventive maintenance costs 200 (because I use Lucas),

Still, Christine was a cranky old bitch and this is a much healthier truck. After paying for all my repairs, I should still pocket at least 3 cpm more, or 90+ bucks/week, making my ultimate savings 800+/week!

In one week, I'll net enough extra to more than pay for all my mothly expenses inc. food, wireless, insurance--everything. If I go down for extended service for a week, I won't really lose any money, except the fuel burned.

Yeah--that's the way ya do it. I can't wait to hit the road again (but I'm gonna. I HATE loose ends. I'll leave here with half a dozen as it is.)

No comments: