Monday, September 1, 2008

My First Trip


I took a light air-freight load to Orlando, Florida, Then I had to come back into Georgia, and got a cheap, heavy paper load to bring back here, to Cincinnati.
On the way down, I had to get the trailer fixed, and whule I was there, I noticed these "turbo 3000" things. They are incorporated into the diesel fuel feed. Much of it's over my head, but what they do is insure that the injectors uniformly inject the most finely-misted fuel possible. Inceases power and mpg's.
So I told them to put it on my truck and paid 380 bucks for it. Next, I'll get another set of "tornado"'s--as seen on TV. These reroute the air going into the air intake into a vortex. I believe the result is that more oxygen reaches the mixing chamber than would be possible with a straight-line flow.
I mean...if you are an oxygen molecule and go straight into the chamber, you get no closer to the other molecules than you were when you were floating around over the freeway, minding your own business. But if you get spun around in a spiral, all of a sudden, you get crowded in with a bunch more molecules.
Anyway, I installed these on Christine, and got about .8 mpg's more. So, now that I got the turbo 300 for the fuel end--to make sure those diesel molecules are as separate and ready-to-explode as possible, the tornado will help on the "air" side of the fuel-air mix.
Then, when I get my Onboard Vehicle Hydrogen Generators!, the tornado will also maximize the dispersal of the two types of hydrogen and extra oxygen as well. And, the ceramic coating will insure that hardly any of this extra power is lost.
They'll get me a load out of Cincinnati tomorrow, which is cool. I thought I'd have to dead-head about 40 miles to Jamestown.
I didn't make much money on this. The 900 mile trip down paid very well, but the 300-plus deadhead miles paid nothing, and the 600 miles from GA to here paid very little. I've put 500 gallons in my tanks at a cost of about 1900 bucks. I still have about 220 gallons of that in my tanks, but the pay period ends tomorrow (I think), so that paycheck will be pretty small.
It's okay. I still got 220 gallons, and that was only one yo-yo (and one that I'll try to avoid from now on).
I was also disturbed by my mileage calculations. I got about 6.65 mpg's on the way down with 27,000 lbs., then 300 empty, then 150 with 42,000 lbs. This was through southern Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee substantially, with a lot of hills. I drove 70 mph mostly, but also had to take a lot of backroads and drive 55-60, with several stops and starts. So 6.65 mpg's is pretty good.
But then. with the 42,000 lbs., I averaged about 4.5 mpg's--at least for about 300 miles.
I must have made a mistake., and there's a decent chance I overfilled the tanks. Diesel expands as it warms up, and if you put too much fuel in, you can lose up to several gallons as it leaks out. I got a real notebook, and from now on will write everything down each time I fuel.
This is a light, streamlined truck with a fuel-efficient engine. The APU adds 400 lbs. to it's weight, and I got a full refrigerator and stuff, so no doubt that costs me a little...
Anyway, I just need to take another load out and back starting tomorrow, and keep running. My small paycheck for this 2-way won't make it to my account for up to two weeks, as they'll snail-mail the check to my account. I want the second paycheck to be a good one.
I can order the ceramic stuff and the tornadoes as soon as I have my PO Box, but will need to wait on the Onboard Vehicle Hydrogen Generators! until I have more money in my business account. (You simply have to have insurance against major repairs, and I've gone into the danger-zone.)
Well, I'm now docked with my paperwork in the trailer. I will wake up when my trailer starts bouncing...this is how I like it.

No comments: