Monday, December 29, 2008

Escape Through New York

Today I signed up another broker and got a load to Wilmington Delaware with a stop in New Jersey. I'll hardly make any money, but at least it'll be a little, and I'll be reaching ahead for longer loads out. I'll pick up wednesday, and will deliver both stops on friday the 2nd.

...okay I just took another one from Berlin, MD to Garland, TX which will still not pay much but which is better than nothing. So finally, I have preplanned two loads ahead.

I had to. I can't compete with the pihrannas. To try to cherry-pick a load as it appears, I'd have to be staring at this laptop all day, and I have to attempt to fix my damn APU (which I probably can't), etc.

These other guys--it's all they do, all day.

I'll have the details on the load in a couple hours, and can then start trying to grab my third load-targeting 1/6 from Garland. If I can't fix the APU here, I can also try to set something up there on the 5th. (I'll be going through NC, TN etc. so I should be able to get away with it not running).

I'll be at the Maine shipper on the Delaware load (and maybe in a door) wed. morning, and be at the first stop probably before close-of-business that day to attempt early delivery of that part of it. If I can get that done, I can be at the final in Wilmington when they open too, and be at the Maryland shipper before 1100 friday.

During this time, I'll be on the boards looking for my third load, which I can be more selective about, and which I'll make sure is a long one.

I now have four brokers I'm on file with, and will collect more as I go. After this murderous holiday season and my inexperienced stumbling around and chasing up blind alleys, I'll then be preplanned two trips ahead and be able to sustain that...

That's important, since this is the one way I can get ahead of the pihrannas on some of the higher-paying loads--by looking at them before the pihrannas have a chance to ace me out of them.

Ok now I'll recheck my email and the boards, looking at Garland TX, and possibly even nail a load down, then go outside and see if taking my fan off would help (you see there's a housing surrounding it, and if I can't slide it all the way off, it won't work).

Wish me luck okbye

No comments: