Sunday, December 28, 2008

Still Stuck

Well, I can tell by the pillow-cases that my noggin-owie was still bleeding. I hope the hotel doesn't call the cops after I leave...

I can't do anything until tomorrow when the Brokers open. Wayne at the company pointed out to me that some of the shorter loads in this area pay well, so monday I'll broaden my targets.

Unfortunately, my company is probably not set up with the two or three main brokers from which most of these loads emanate, so that even if I'm in time to grab a load, I have to get them to fax stuff back and forth, and the broker may well not commit to me beforehand...meaning I get aced-out. Again.

I have to view this as a contact-making situation. I may lose the first loads I try for, but will get stuff getting faxed back and forth, so that (if the brokers don't reject my company based on it's safety record or something), I'll have my company hooked up with three or four brokers.

A couple of these have websites on which loads are listed. On the last one I visited, I put a bid in on one--just in case my company is already signed up. I'll be saving these sites to favorites, and getting passwords so that I can get at the loads.

While I'll be trying for loads tomorrow/monday the 29th, I have to plan for the faxing and hooking-up stuff, and no loads being put on me until that's complete.

This time, I jotted notes on loads for days through the second, per-company, so that if they tell me that one load is gone, I can ask about the others while still on the phone.

I also searched the load-destinations. For example, one going to Wimington, DE and another going near there in New Jersey would probably have me deliver on the second. In that area, I found some longer loads (one of which I bid on--I'd deadhead 300 miles to go to New Mexico).

Partly because these are the longest of the short loads, then because my deadheads to them are under 170 miles, and finally because of the loads coming out of there, I'm trying to get loads through the 31st down there. I probably get aced out of the ones on the 29th, but by reaching ahead a couple days will have a better shot at nailing one down.

Well, time to resume listening to the Steelers stomp my Browns...

No comments: