Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rocksboro, NC

I got pulled off my load enroute to Opelika, AL. They said they needed help with a late load, and when they ask me like that, I do it. Another thing I noticed: "ASAP". That phrase means more to somebody who was in the military than it does to regular people. I kicked into overdrive.

Anyway, there was some confusion. I proceeded to the drop in Opelika, and, since you usually can't drop a trailer next to a stranded truck, I kept asking if I should drop the trailer at that stop once I'd unloaded. Uncharacteristicly, there was some confusion--I got sent on toward the other load with my trailer/current load. 28 miles out, I finally got a message: "Go ahead and drop your trailer at stop 1."

I had to turn around. But I'll get paid for the extra miles. I bobtailed about 120 miles and found the truck and trailer at this guy's house. It turned out that there had been some confusion as to the delivery time. The guy didn't have a house-phone, and I guess there was something wrong with his cellphone, because he was all set to run the load.

They had me go ahead and take it anyway. Which sucked, since it was a morning delivery, and it meant that I'd have to drive well into early morning.

Now here, a lot of drivers would say "I can't do it. I don't have the hours." And, per the 14-hour rule, I didn't. But you learn this stuff: A real pro just makes it happen. Know what I mean?

As a driver, you are responsible for your hours, see? Not your company. Your company tracks your hours via "macro's", or precanned messages you send daily through your Qualcom unit. You tell them how many hours you spent on duty the precious day, and of you get to seventy in an eught day period, they shut you down. That's the law.

As I mentioned earlier, most drivers are pretty creative, so the company also voluntarily uses the four thousand mile rule, which can't be defeated--although it can be maxxed out through timely use of the 34-hour reset rule...ok I'm sorry this is bow-ring.

Anyway, I just hammered it over here and found out they'd take me, so I unloaded early morning. The company is really happy with me now. It turns out that this was a new customer, and my early delivery helped us make a good impression.

I'll tell you, that makes me feel good. It validates my ethos.

Most drivers (like 9 out of 10) complain constantly. Many--though perhaps not a majority--do as I mentioned earlier. They tell the company "I can't do it. I don't have the hours." ...and the truth is, if I wasn't so happy working with these people, I would have also. But they give me reasonable loads, running me the way I can be most productive.

I'm rarely asked to deliver in unreasonably tight windows, and when I perform at a high level, I'm rewarded for it. So I made it happen. If there's anything I can pass on to my nephew, it would be that: If an employer or contractor treats you the same as the most unreliable, lazy, and uncooperative person around you, get out as soon as you can. And if they treat you well--reciprocate.

Gotta go.

No comments: