Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fredericksburg, VA

I transferred to this new company just so I could stick with Korena and run her loads. I haven't gone to the west coast yet, but think that once I do, she can keep me on it, as she'll have days to look for loads and can grab them sooner.

At least that's my theory.

In the meanwhile, my average pay per-load has gone up, I got the trade show gig, and I've finally got some money.

One thing I didn't mention are the fuel discounts this new (bigger) company gets. With Pilot and some others, they're a flat 5 cents 3 cents; the biggest I've had. But with Loves and TA, they vary, but in general are much higher. I mean like 13 cents, 31 cents--even higher!

Well, I don't know about Loves, because they don't want my latest edition, newly updated Adobe Reader to be able to read their listing. My diagnostics said it was on them. And until they fix it, I can't buy a drop from them. Wonder how much money market share they've surrendered?

Now I trim my fuel searches to these chains. Almost always--(because Loves won't fix their problem)--I go to TA. I now pay about a dime less per-gallon for fuel than I paid before.

Since I buy around 450 gallons a week, my savings are about 45.00.

I can go overboard about nickles and dimes, but all these little things add up. The 45 is 75 with the cheaper trailer rental. I should save about 5 bucks/week by dropping my trip envelopes in groups. I spent 160 bucks for my fuel magic additive, but that's saving me a good 5 bucks/week (plus getting me to recievers faster.)

What I mean by that last is that the fuel magic increases my horse power. I can more often hold a gear and maintain speed going up mountains.

Without the Fuel Magic, 30,000 lbs. pretty much kill me on a 5-plus percent grade. With the stuff, I can sometimes stay in ninth or tenth, and on lesser grades am passing other trucks.

It can make a huge difference. I arrive earlier, making customers happier (and more loyal). I can get empty sooner, hence get a new load sooner. ALL the little things add up.

Besides, I do splurge quite a bit, and want to offset it.

I'm even checking out some of those wind/turbulance-cutting shields I've seen on trailers. I rent mine, but since with this company I'm married to it anyway, might try to buy it.

One device I checked out is mounted underneath the trailer near the back, and costs over four grand. I ran away as fast as I could.

Especially since the far simpler, sail-like plexiglass shields which angle out along the bottom sides of trailers probably work at least as well.

For that matter, I won't do it myself, but I know exactly how to tell technicians working with plexiglass to duplicate both devices. Four grand--are you freaking kidding me? I'm sick of these crooks. I need a thin correctly sized piece of plexiglass, 2-4 brackets, and some nuts and bolts. Mine won't LOOK fancy, but will do the same damn thing.

I COULD even do the work myself. I've worked with fiberglass and plexiglass before, and with the tools know how to cut, drill, mount, etc. That's how I know crooks when I see them.

But I don't have the tools, don't want to buy them, and am lazy.

For some weeks I'll do some research, a little at a time, and come up with a plan. If the side-shield types are reasonably priced--which I doubt--I'll see about negotiating the purchase of this trailer so I can invest in it.

Anyway, I'm here in Fredericksburg, awaiting a load.

Hey! Think us descendants of Union guys maimed and killed here can get reparations from the descendants of the slaves they freed? I just saw a black driver walk in--excuse me gotta go---

No comments: