Saturday, August 11, 2007

Van Buren, AR, USA


I left Little Rock wednesday after considerable research and mission planning. At about 2:30 pm I reported in a day early with my new address (a box at the local UPS Store) and my new social security card applied for at the local office (and a letter stating same).

I got ahead of the paperwork, and then was sent on the shuttle bus to the Holiday Inn in downtown Fort Smith. The desk person wanted to know who the hell I was, since there had been no fax from USA on me. Got that resolved.

Next day I show up for some more processing, and am sent on the shuttle to the Howard Johnson. This time, there was no confirmation fax on me, and the night shift wasn't authorized to do it. After extensive phone ping-pong, they send a cab for me and had it take me here, to the Meaders Inn (a step down, naturally).

Next day I go in and ask the receptionist who was playing childish games with me and why. She said she thought I was this other guy named Ken. Only no other guy had gone there with me. I went to the classroom and met the director of training. I informed him that I exist. "My name is Wile E. Coyote and I exist." Then I told him how I had been dicked around. Later, I told another training person the same thing.

You can't let people treat you like that. You can't be a good sport. I'm sick of people losing this and forgetting that and leaving me hanging, and--because of my history with some Jr. Highschool reject here (identity unknown), suspected that it was deliberate.

Because of my much-delayed drug test (couldn't go), I missed the road-test (yeah, they even test experienced drivers. Fortunately, they're going to test me in my own truck. I haven't driven an automatic in three years--I could have done it in their truck, but would have looked pretty sloppy.)

I had requested several times of several people a separate hotel room, for which I would pay half. But of course this was also ignored, and I got a roomate.

But he was great, and a real american. Former marine TAC, combat vet in Nicaragua. Married, three kids, Jersey native. He'd managed service center from which he'd had a view of the World Trade Centers.

We agreed about literally everything. When the islamofascists bring their war of conquest to your doorstep, and you are thus forced to face certain realities, you will wish the two of us were with you. Until then, you may continue calling us capitalist pigs, or whatever less stigmatized version of same you're thoughtlessly using these days.

Anyway, I got tomorrow (sunday) to go. (They start at 6:30 am--the bastards). Then monday we graduate (I'll get my road test in there somewhere) and they'll decal my truck and stick a new Qualcom unit in it. I'll also meet my Fleet Manager (dispatcher) monday and let him know how I run best.

As I've mentioned, my operations record is impressive, so he'll already know I mean business. However, I sort of expect him not to believe it until I show HIM, which is fine with me. I've heard good things about this guy. (And second-hand bad things...

Ok like a Cal-Ark driver told me that a USA owner-operator had told him that "they" only get about 2800 miles/week. Well, it's a good bet that "they" are married and need home-time and stuff, whereas I am a gypsy. And I don't mind telling you yet again, the odds are heavily against this second-hand source being as good as me. Sorry, it's the truth.)

I was the only owner-operator. Some guys were experienced drivers, but most were students, getting ready to start new carreers. I was glad to spill every tip and bit of advice I could to my roommate, to spare him some of the stuff I learned the hard way.

I told him and other guys not to listen to the bitchers and moaners in re this company. It's not perfect, by any means, and have some downright stupid policies. But this company saved my life and turned me into a success (remember my definition: doing what you love for a living.)

And the rest of you: You can't listen to that crap--or at least not with your emotions engaged. You can take it in and think about it, because some of it IS true, and you ignore that part at your peril. But most of these guys are just permanent bitchers and moaners. They'd be bitching and moaning if they made twice the money running half the miles. Many have been with USA for several years, and been whining and crying about this and that every day of it.

If they ever DID pick up and go somewhere else because it looked like a much better deal, they'd be bitching and moaning about THAT company, too.

There's good and bad things everywhere you go. On balance, USA is pretty competitive with the industry--actually maybe even above average. I was there to tell a couple of the new guys this, and glad to do it. When I was here, there was an ongoing issue about my average length of haul, and somebody higher up in operations screwed me over a few times. But I still averaged around 3000 miles/week.

So there it is. Some shithead worked here with the power to screw me over, but I got my miles and got paid for them. They put me in a brand new experimental automatic after one year. They forgave me a couple incidents (of which I was reminded yesterday. They weren't on my DAC record; the DOT one...but they had occurred while I was here, and USA had them recorded. Ouch!)

So what do you want? Utopia? Grow up. Don't listen to the whiners. If you think you can do better, you can move on, like I did--and leave on good terms.

Good thing I did, huh?

The moment I get done here, I'm going to track down my birth certificate, and (today online or monday on the phone) get it sent to my new address. They've started a new program to expedite loads into Canada. If you're in the program, they have you in their database and know you're not a terrorist or smuggler or whatever, so you can bypass some of the customs ragamarole.

I was happy not to go to Canada before, but if it's somewhat less difficult than it used to be, it's worth it to me. I'd get some longer runs that way...like from Laredo to Toronto! And anyway, I want my proof-of-existance. I'll probably dig up my DD-214 again, too, and get a new VA hospital card.

Well...here I go okbye


Aint the innernet cool? I just ordered my birth certificate from vitalcheck.com. Paid for it and everything. I used regular mail, so it might take a couple weeks, but then I'll get my app in to this program, and get a passport to boot. I just gave myself another raise (trust me).


I'd go after the DD-214 (military stuff) but the Browns will play their first exhibition game pretty soon and I'm going to listen to THAT on the internet. I love this!

No comments: