Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Murphy in Little Rock

Well, over the weekend I chgecked out every post office branch and UPS store in Van Buren and Fort Smith in the internet, made one actual phonecall, and have pre-decided on a UPS Store 6 miles from my new home base in Van Buren as my new alleged address.

Today (tuesday) I went to Kenworth to get my truck back, and found my batteries so dead that there was no LED display or other sign of life. Great. Well, I'd known ahead of time that it would probably need a jump after sitting over the weekend with my cooler running...ok ok it was my fault. I should have written off the food in there and unplugged it, along with every other possible battery drain.

They jumped it, ran it into the shop, and immediately shut it down. Then (big surprise) they failed to start, then jumped it again to get it back out. And shut it down immediately. And then, the next day, they tried and failed to start it, jumped it, and drove it back in/shut down immediately to complete the repairs. Then (ditto) to get it into the paint shop. Then ditto to where they left it for me.

The batteries are about 3.5 months old, but most likely have been bludgeoned into fried city. My poor innocent alternator might have caught too much shrapnel, too.

After getting jumped at Kenworth, I drove to HQ to complete the processing. They took my decals and license plates and stuff, and I got new fuel cards and stuff. I had Tony, my Leasing co. handler, go back in time and tell me how my exploded tranny was handled--(adequately; I paid labor but not for the tranny).

They wanted my social security card. I couldn't find it. Searched the truck and still couldn't find it.

They let me go. Without license plates or a temp tag. I'd missed the post office and it was about to close, and byt the time I got to the truck it was close to 5 pm. I was sweaty and pissed off, so I just took the truck. If I get pulled over, I'll be an innocent dumbass and blame my leasing company.

I hit the post office, too late. I cleared my box and then buzzed the "employee only" door to get a change-of-address form from the very decent dude I knew was there and would answer.

Took the truck back here, to my hotel, where it still idles in the optimistic hope of recharging to 14...searched for the social security card some more. Back to this room and laptop, to the internet.

I can apply for a new social security card with my license and and insurance card (and other
stuff) (in lieu of my birth certificate) per the website (unless I run into an asshole)...SO, tomorrow I need to get the shuttle downtown to the Federal Building...

...or a cab. Go apply and hope I don't get an asshole who insists that since I can pribably get my birth certificate within ten days, my other evidence of citezenship won't work....

I'm a vet--I was a c/o--military and GS, and freely offer my fingerprints and stuff--(ohmmm...ohmmm...)

Then I HOPE to come back here and chill for one more night before going to Van Buren.

I intend to open my UPS Store box before going to HQ, pre-paying for a year. Then I'll go on in, and as soon as possible change addresses on all my accounts. Then, of neccessary, I'll tell the Van Buren service center to check my alternator and batteries as they stick USA decals on my truck...

And use some "application pending" statement in lieu of my social security card...ARRRGH!

OK that's it okbye

No comments: