Saturday, August 7, 2010

Someplace in NC

Stopped at this Motel 6 en route to 'Bama and just came back from the Sports Bar. Literally a few feet away. It used to be a Wendy's, but three young black guys converted the building into a Sports Bar three months ago. Crawling distance from three hotels, and I was able to park my rig...

Aint that America (with a "c", comrades)?

Their mom/aunt was the bartender and told the story. Grandpa was as white as me; she has green eyes. She's from Jersey. We talked race and politics. It was great. I love to see the american dream in action, especially when they're the descendants of slaves, or are legal immigrants.

And why the hell are we subsidizing non-citezens and not our own people? We don't need all our hotels, convenience stores, etc. owned by the rest of the world, do we? (Sorry I can't leave this to chance: We DON'T).

Anyway, My last pickup was close to Courtney's office in Delaware. It was supposed to be an 8 am load, but took til 1945. She was angrier than I was about it. That's a good sign for me, since I'm used to it, and apparantly she's not.

OK--most drivers get really upset about loads not being ready on time. Many company drivers and some owner-ops are compensated for the down-time to some extent contractually, but most of THEM still bitch and moan about it.

I'm a little different, because I've got the internet and Damian. I also have been doing this for awhile, and have been through it a lot--shit happens, and crying about it is useless (except in a blog which is designed to be your shrink--OK?)

Anyway, Courtney actually stopped by on her way home to drop off a couple log books for me, and to meet me in person.

Homina-homina! She's a BABE! Brains and beauty--wow. (And I'm not just writing this because I think she might read it.)

OK but anyway, she said she's going to get us some compensation for the wait-time--maybe not much, but something, anyway. And she also said that she thinks she'll try to get me on a sort of "route" away from the east coast.

James, her driver that I met at a TA who told me about the carrier and her, said that he had a sort of route too. He lives in SC, I think: She gets him home weekly, and he still makes great money.

Cool. I don't know how she does it, but it's just great.

She also told me that I was just about square with the "company store", and should start getting paid (that is the rest of my settlements after the 35% advances) now.

JUST IN TIME! I've called and made arrangements with my internet/cell, prepass, et al people about giving me time, and now I'll be funded in time to avoid cancellations and other problems. If I do get the bulk of my next settlement check, I can also knock out my road use taxes. I might even be ready to replace my steers (and diagnose the uneven wear problem)--although I think I can stall that a little longer.

So I'm pretty bouyant right now--back on my feet and looking down a smooth stretch of road.

Time to play internet poker and watch Steve Segal kick butt,

No comments: