Thursday, August 12, 2010

Erie, PA

HAL went into a coma yesterday. Again. I never get rid of the loose ends. Now I have to get him someplace to get him fixed. Then I have to go back and get him. Again.

Ignoring that little piece of crap paperweight that also fried itself 5 weeks after I bought it, I dug out Gramps here. He needs a new power cord, but I'm able to stabalize him with a BMF Clamp. He also needs a battery--I think---and if his power is disrupted for a nanosecond he gets narcoleptic.

Gramps is slow, and I don't have Sid Meyer's Civilization on him, but fortunately I can route, search for cheap fuel, use Mapquest to recon shippers and recievers, get my load info, etc. on him. Man, if I go without a laptop it's like going blind.

This one was a hospital delivery, and man...the entrance and dock aren't designed for anybody as big as me, plus it's like all the other vehicles are deliberately parked to make me hit them. I had to get real creative to get in here...

THEN the guy comes out and says he can't unload me. I'd called during the day and said I'd be here--she said go ahead and hit a door, but didn't tell these guys. Now I'm praying that securtiy doesn't come kick me out and make me do this again during rush hour (0800 appt.)

I'm pretty ticked about my left front steer tire--it looks like somebody carved it badly with a hatchet. I haven't checked my accounts for settlements yet (due today), but I've already got it spent. Got to pay my road taxes, get new steers, get another alignment, and make sure whatever chewed up my damn steers is fixed. And get HAL fixed. Or replaced.

If they tell me it's the mother----ing board again I replace him. My bro Eman went through hell (and 500 bucks) replacing the board less than 3 months ago. I'm not even thinking about asking him to help me out again.

I've asked Courtney to take me through Van Buren or Garland so I can drop him off at a joint I know/trust. They may be able to determine the issue quickly, and if it's the board I'll see what they have to offer.

Hal is like 3 years old now, and by this time I bet I can get something pretty good then and there.

This time I deadheaded less than a mile--that's like the third time. I'm doing great here--not just making a higher rate, but also cramming more work into available time and (comparatively) saving a ton in deadhead fuel.

Well, now I'll try to get Gramps to my bunk so I can read about the Browns and play internet poker. Means I have to unclamp his power cord. Wish me luck.

No comments: