Monday, May 12, 2008

Fleetwood, PA: That's right. She's Rejecting the Damned Transplant

...dammit.



It's monday. Friday night, I finally got Christine back, and drove all the way back to the Bethel Yard to pick up an empty trailer and report back for "duty". But when I tried to shut down for the night by engaging my Optimized Idle...



Optimized Idle is a computer program which turns the engine on and off as needed. It protects the batteries from going dead, and in temperature mode starts up to turn on the a/c or heat per the thermostat in my sleeper. I don't have a generator, and fuel is now over 4 bucks/gallon. To idle a truck all night is idiotic.



...well, the Optimized idle didn't work. I then looked closer, and saw that none of my panel lights were lighting in the start-up or "boot" sequence. The idle and lights all worked when I took it in. This could be very bad. I'm not a geek, but it looks to me like the ECM is just IGNORING all those sensors. Oil, coolant level, engine trouble, etc.



Plus, the LED tells me I have two active faults. I should have only one: the result of a Rube Goldberg repair. Could be ABS brakes, in which case I don't care. But it could be something else--and I do care.



THEN I noticed that I'm leaking air from somewhere whenever the engine is idling. LOTS of air.



I got it back before Penn closed. The tech hooked the laptop up and couldn't do anything. I waited overnight til saturday morning. They could call the expert and log onto Detroit Diesel's site then to make a better attempt. It didn't work.



So I got a hotel room (this one) and came back sunday to park overnight til monday. This morning I got in there at 0700. Waited all day. At 1500 the guy tells me that the engineer just got finished with the job he'd been on and was going home. They'll get me in tomorrow morning.

No comments: